A Mixed Media Get Well Card
I volunteered to make a card for a lady in my exercise class who very recently got diagnosed with Breast Cancer. Someone had said to BUY a card for her. OK, I frankly have issues with people buying cards when I can make something and donate it. I can’t do much with making meals for her and her family, but a card, THAT I can do.
I started with some watercolour paper. Using a couple Plaid stencils, a Tim Holtz applicator and foam attachments, I inked up the whole 9 x 12 inch piece of paper with the stencils using acrylic paints in Cherry Blossom pink and Leaf Green. I heat set it, then went over the whole thing with Antique Linen Distress Stain. I misted and tried to flick, but it didn’t work so I made do. I decided to add some brown to the mix by splattering Walnut Stain Distress Stain in a few spots. I then dragged some embossing paste over a section of the watercolour paper. Once that was dry, I edged the panel in Walnut Stain Distress Stain.
For the flowers, I took some Crate Paper, cut it to 6×6 pieces, and ran it through my Big Kick with Tim Holtz’s Tattered Florals die. I had 4 layers of the green paper and 4 layers of the pinky red paper. After much debate, I finally decided on what flowers to add to the card. For the pink flowers, I inked the edges in Walnut Stain Distress ink, then sprayed with Perfect Pearls in Perfect Pearl. The green flower I edged in Walnut Stain distress ink. I wanted to add a couple of butterflies, so I grabbed a two from a K&Company chipboard pack of butterflies. They needed a bit more shine, so I added a touch of Diamond Stickles to them.
While that was drying, I did a bit of stamping. I used Belle Rose Palette ink, and stamped a script stamp in places, changing where I added pressure, and trying NOT to make it look uniform. I then took an Amuse stamp set that I bought last year, and stamped the Breast cancer symbol in Belle Rose Ink, and “HOPE” and “I support you” in Noir Black Palette ink. I crossed out the “I” in the “I support you” and put “we” above it. I found a die cut heart, and added some Worn Lipstick Distress Stickles to it. Once all the pieces were dry, I adhered the heart and butterflies to the watercolour panel. I then adhered the watercolour paper to a 6 x 6 inch square chocolate brown card base.
I made the card in time for most of the class to sign it before it was delivered to the recipient.
Thank you for coming today 🙂