My First Mixed Media Piece

Image

This is my first mixed media piece. With a $1.00 canvas that had the word “Faith” on it, and some boring background, I figured I liked the word enough to make something out of it. 

I started by prepping the canvas with a layer of Gesso.  I don’t have any fancy Gesso, just some Wal  Mart stuff that I bought AGES ago.  Once I got the layer on, and it dried, I painted the whole piece in a pale yellow acrylic paint.  After that, I took a script stamp and some Peacock Gold pigment ink (Colorbox) and stamped the script all over, not caring if I got a great impression or not. (Lesson learned from this: when stamping on a canvas and you DO want a good impression, make sure there is a book to support the middle section of the canvas). 

Taking some MME Cowboy paper, I cut out some birds and pretty paper, and adhered it to the canvas (Lesson 2: ALWAYS USE a matte medium (or other liquid glue) for adhering  paper to the canvas.  A hot glue gun DOES NOT WORK!) I didn’t like the plain blue piece in the top left corner, so I took some white cardstock and used a Hero Arts stamp (Fleurette) and stamped the image in a silk blue pigment ink (Colorbox).

I am taking the Technique Toolbox course  (taught by Claudine Hellmuth at Big Picture Classes), and learned how to make the look of peeled paint using petroleum jelly.  I HAD to try this, so I bought some petroleum jelly, followed the instructions, and was really happy with the result 🙂

 It still needed more to me, so I decided to try stamping into some coloured Gesso ( Lesson 3: DO NOT USE liquid acrylic paint for tinting Gesso.. it gets too runny to be of much use).  Needless to say, I could NOT get the Gesso to set up enough to stamp into, so I  bailed on that idea, and just spread the tinted Gesso around, and tried the peeled paint technique again.  So, it needed more.. I took the Fleurette stamp again and stamped the flower 3 times in 3 corners in Versamark ink, then used Chocolate brown embossing powder, and heat set it.

 

At this point, I just wanted to add a bit of dimension to the piece, so I made a flower from coffee filters (From A Blog Named Hero), dyed the flower in Broken China and Walnut Stain Distress Stain.  I fluffed up the flower, then decided it needed to go onto the bottom left corner.  I had a turquoise flower that I had made from a border punch, and I added that to the top right corner (after spraying both flowers with Heirloom Gold Perfect Pearl Mist).  I had just bought some jewellery pieces for mixed media, and added a gold flower.  I finished the piece by adding a stamped bird above the middle of “Faith”.  I debated about colouring the paper, but decided a bit more white wasn’t a bad thing.

I am entering this in the “A Blog Named Hero” challenge this week, which is Reduce, Reuse and Recycle.

 

Thanks for looking. 🙂

 

Advertisements

About Cardcrazed

I am a Christian, an empty nester who loves to make cards and ATCs. I also love to listen to Christian music.

Posted on August 7, 2013, in Cards and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink. 2 Comments.

  1. Good job! You certainly took something apparently ordinary and tweaked it up a few notches. And I’d like to try the Vaseline technique. Hmm..

  2. Wow! So many techniques and media! Thanks for playing at A Blog Named Hero 🙂

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: